Sunday, April 27, 2008

Alley Garden Update

At the beginning of the month my garden looked like this:


The big plants in the picture are potatoes. There's also a row of broccoli, a row of red cabbage, and a row of collards, all interspersed with onions. Now it's looking like this:


Everything is getting so lush there's competition for sunshine! I've now added four varieties of peppers and some ichiban eggplant to the bed. Yeah it's getting really packed out. The potato plants got so big the stalks are falling down. It's not a big deal, just doesn't look as good as when they stand. A number are blossoming which means they're making potatoes down below. Today I noticed a couple of my pepper plants were blossoming.

If you were to turn directly around from the above view you would see another bed about four feet wide by about twenty two feet long. It took me about a week to prepare it properly, taking out two wheelbarrow loads of roots. Then we laid two hundred pounds of manure compost and eighty pounds of potting soil and tilled it all under. Yesterday I planted a dozen tomato plants, half a dozen yellow squash and a few zuccinni.

By the way, I harvested some servings of broccoli. There's something about eating food that you know where it's been. They also say that every bite of food we take has traveled an average of fifteen hundred miles... and God knows how many hands.

Eat well.
\

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is a gorgeous garden. I never would have thought to plant vegetables as ornamentals. I can hardly wait to get my own garden again.